. Welcome to my lair... :) Wacky, Fun filled,Thoughts,Craps... you named it ..You got it :): Pregnancy is a Blessing .. NOT A disease...
hit counter script

Friday, September 11, 2009

Pregnancy is a Blessing .. NOT A disease...

This was written by my wife to the Straits time.. I think its Time ppl should know that Pregnancy is a Blessing .. NOT A disease... Hey Employers... Wake up your F*#king Idea...



Dear Straits Times,

I wish to comment on Singapore's employers' mindset on hiring expectant women. Ministry of Manpower has improved the guidelines for maternity care and leave in order to benefit women in the workforce, as well as encourage Singaporeans to increase the birthrate.

I am currently 3 months pregnant and have been seeking for a job for the past 2 months, and the results have not been looking well. Most employers will state their interest to interview me for full-time positions, until I inform them that I am pregnant. When they hear this, all of them turn away and suddenly "disappear", stating that they have hired a more suitable candidate or have decided not to hire at all. Even the registered job agencies give me replies such as "in this case, we will contact you in March 2010" (this is when I am due).

With the government bodies highly recommending new measures to improve birthrates and to benefit women in the workforce, employers are not doing all they can to align their policies to the government's. In order for a Singaporean citizen to be eligible for maternity leave, Ministry of Manpower cites that "The employee has worked for the employer for at least 90 days before the child's birth". With my current pregnancy "age", I am still able to be employed for another 6 months before the child's birth, which fully fulfils the Manpower guidelines. If the candidate is more than 6 months pregnant, I would understand why employers are not willing to employ them. Should employers not base their hiring policies on the ability of the job candidates, rather than to focus on how long they can commit before they go on maternity?

I believe that I am not the only pregnant woman who is facing this problem in Singapore. I hope employers will reconsider their hiring policies and realign their mentality to follow the government's footsteps in "promoting" birthrate and women in the workforce.

Lim SL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger